- PACE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, New York
LL.M in Comparative Legal Studies, May 2007
Concentrated in Corporate Law, M&A, Contracts Law, Int’l Arbitration and, Int’l BusinessTransactions.
- ANKARA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Ankara
- ANKARA UNIVERSITY EUROPEAN UNION RESEARCH CENTER (“ATAUM”), Ankara
International Relations Specialist Program, 2003
BAR ADMISSION Admitted in the Istanbul Bar Association, 2003
- ÖZKAN&GÜRDEN ATTORNEY PARTNERSHIP, Istanbul (in association with DWF LLP)
September 2010 – Current
The Firm focuses in the provision of comprehensive legal services to foreign and local legal entities, financial institutions and individuals with business interests in Turkey.
- MET GROUP OF COMPANIES, Istanbul (Group Companies consist of Met Capital Partners Pte. Ltd., Metcap Enerji Yatırımları Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş., Komet Enerji Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş., Verbena Enerji Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş. and Agromet Tarım İşletmeleri A.Ş.)
Project Development Team, February 2010- September 2010
Chief Legal Officer
Taking part of the project development team responsible for developing new businesses and investments, particularly in energy and agriculture sectors. The job duties include: Reviewing, drafting, negotiating all types of legal contracts; keeping the project team up-to-date on developments in the relevant investment sectors; coordinating outside legal counsels (local and international) and legal procedures; providing legal due diligence reports regarding the projects; assisting the project team on license applications and requirements; managing the contacts with governmental bodies; all other corporate tasks with respect to Board Meetings/General Assemblies; supporting all project development related work from legal point of view; providing labor law assistance to the human resources department.
- PEKIN&PEKIN LAW FIRM , Istanbul
Capital Market Department, 2007-2008 / Corporate and M&A Department, 2008-2010
Senior Associate (Team Leader)
Provided legal and contractual consultancy services to foreign clients (i.e. international and multinational companies investing in Turkey). Particularly, concentrated in Mergers&Acquisitions, Joint Ventures and Foreign Direct Investments in regulated sectors. Drafted, reviewed, amended contracts (e.g. loan agreements, management agreements, procurement agreements, consultancy agreements, shareholders agreements, share purchase agreements etc.). Attended to or took part of various contract negotiations among the clients and their counterparties. Provided advice on corporate law, securities law, competition law, real property law, tax law, environmental law and energy law matters.
- GLOBAL MENKUL DEĞERLER A.Ş. / GLOBAL YATIRIM HOLDING A.Ş., Istanbul
Legal Department, 2003-2006
Conducted research and drafted memoranda on securities, corporate, commercial, labor, and tax law matters. Provided legal advice on legal matters arising from the Company’s ordinary course of business. Conducted legal correspondence between the Company and administrative/legal authorities (e.g. Capital Market Board, Takasbank, Borsa Istanbul, Merkezi Kayıt Kuruluşu etc.). Participated in due diligence activities. Drafted, reviewed, and negotiated various business related documentation including contracts and mandates. Executed the incorporation process of new group companies and organized/finalized the general shareholder meetings of current group companies. Attended in the Company’s foreign direct investment negotiations abroad and counseled the Company’s management.
EXPERIENCE AS LECTURER
- “Board Member”, 2015-Current, Board of the Graduate School of Business at Bahçeşehir University.
- “New Venture Creation”, 2016-Current, MBA program at Bahçeşehir University.
- “Legal Training Seminars”, 2007-2010, Lectured at legal training seminars on various legal topics to trainee, associate and senior associate-level legal practitioners of Pekin&Pekin Law Firm.
- “Legal Training Seminars”, 2005, Lectured and mentored Management Trainees (“MT”) at Global Menkul Değerler A.Ş.
- “Leadership Basic Courses”, 2000-2003, Lectured at leadership basic courses organized by the Turkish Scouting Federation.
- “Fuel Ethanol: Current Developments in Public Policy and Prospective Challenges for Policy Makers”, 2007, Pace University School of Law.
- “The effects of European Court of Human Rights’ Judgments on Turkish Law System and Other EU Countries’ Law Systems (Comparison)”, 2004, Istanbul Bar Association.
- “European Union and the Nationalistic Structure of Member Countries”, 2003, Ankara University European Union Research Center.
- “International Franchise Handbook / Turkey Section” 2015, www.bridgehouselaw.net
- “Investing in Turkey”, 2011, October issue of ACQ Magazine, www.acqmagazine.com
- “Doing Business in Turkey / 2010 Edition”, 2010, www.practicallaw.com
- Private Publkic Partnership Special Expertise Committee, Ankara, January 2018, Committee member, organized by the Development Ministry of the Republic of Turkey.
- 5th Public Private Partnership (“PPP”) in Turkey Forum, Ankara, November 2016 (Attended as sponsoring firm)
- German-Turkish Business Forums of BridgehouseLaw, Cologne – February 2014, Istanbul – November 2014, Cologne – June 2015
- VII. Young Leaders Alumni Conference, Antalya, May 2013, Participant, organized by Global Bridges e.V.
- International Electricity Summit, Ankara, September 2010 and September 2011, Participant, organized by Global Enerji Derneği, “GED”
- “Securing Growth in 2011: Turkey – Discussing M&A Deal Drivers”, March 2011, Participant, organized by Mergermarket.
- 3rd Annual Turkey Energy & Infrastructure Finance Conference, Istanbul, May 2010, Participant, organized by Euromoney Seminars.
- Bab-ı Ali Meetings, Istanbul, Member, 2009-2012
- 2008 Europe/Middle East/Africa Regional Conference, Istanbul, September 2008, Participant, organized by LexMundi, an Association of Independent Law Firms.
- 3rd Annual Turkey Structured Capital Markets Summit, Istanbul, March 2008, Participant, organized by Euromoney Seminars.
- 6th European Young Leaders Conference, Limassol, Cyprus, June 2006, Chairman, organized by Atlantik Brücke e.V (Atlantic Bridge Association), a German-American cooperation and think-tank organization, established in Berlin. (Member of European Young Leaders Network)
LANGUAGES Fluent in Turkish, English and German.
- Scouting Volunteers Association, Ankara, Member of Advisory Council, 2004- Present
- Prince’s Islands Sea Scouting Sports Club, Heybeliada, Istanbul, Chairman of the Board, 2005-2006
- Scouting Federation of Turkey, Programme Committee, Ankara, Member of Committee, 2002
- 36th World Scout Conference and 8th World Scout Youth Forum, Greece, July 2002, Member of Turkish Delegation
- 11th World Scout Moot, Mexico, July 2000, Member of Turkish Contingent
- Ankara Scout Troops Leader, 2000-2003
- Recognized and announced as the “Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year – Turkey” , Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2013
- Recipient of “Great Service Merit” garnted by the Turkish Ministry of Youth and Sports, based on voluntary services including search and rescue, first aid, psychological support and child care after the Marmara earthquake in 1999.